Implementing the actions on this page will help your agency manage information assets strategically with appropriate governance and reporting to meet current and future needs of government and community. This is a requirement of the Building trust in the public record policy.
We have provided resources to help you meet each of the policy actions.
Actions and resources
Action 1: Assess your information management capability annually using the National Archives' survey tool – Check-up
This is a mandatory action.
Action 2: Review and update your information governance framework to incorporate enterprise-wide information management. This should include governance for records, information and data. Develop an information governance framework if one does not exist
- Establishing an information governance framework. Advice updated June 2021.
- Information governance template (DOCX 161 KB). New resource released November 2020.
Action 3: Review and update roles and responsibilities for your information governance committee and chief information governance officer to include enterprise-wide information management. Establish an information governance committee and chief information governance officer role if they do not exist
- Establishing an information governance committee. Advice updated December 2020.
- Chief information governance officer. Advice updated December 2020.
- Chief Information and Data Governance Officer – role description example (PDF 60 KB). Advice released June 2023.
Action 4: Create an enterprise-wide information management strategy
- Developing an information management strategy. Advice updated June 2021.
- Information management strategy template (DOCX 160 KB). Resource released November 2020.
- Information management for current, emerging and critical technologies. Advice released December 2021.
Action 5: Register your information assets where there is business value in doing so
- Conducting an information review. Advice updated December 2020.
- Designing and maintaining an information asset register. Advice released June 2021.
- Information asset register template (XLSX, 88 KB). Resource released June 2021.
- Mapping the ONDC and National Archives' metadata requirements. Resource released February 2023.
Action 6: Identify staff capability gaps in information management, in particular for staff with specialist information management roles, and plan to address them
- Six actions to manage information with integrity (PDF 886 KB). Resource updated December 2023.
- Digital archiving e-learning module. Resource released September 2021.
- Information management and data capabilities. Advice updated March 2022.
- Capability gap analysis template (XLSX 181 KB). Resource released March 2022.
- Continuing professional development. Updated advice merged with 'Capabilities, skills and professional development'.
- Capabilities, skills and professional development. Advice updated June 2021.
- e-learning. Advice updated September 2021.
Action 7: Actively support information management at a senior management level and have structures in place for senior managers to engage with skilled information management professionals
- Role of senior managers. Advice released June 2023.
- Quick overview: six actions for senior managers (PDF 96 KB). Resource released June 2023.
Action 8: Monitor progress made towards achieving policy actions and regularly report on progress to senior management. Document risks of not following recommended practice
- Internal progress-monitoring template (XLSX 76 KB). Resource released May 2022.