Implementing the actions on this page will help your agency reduce areas of information management inefficiency and risk to ensure public resources are managed effectively. This is a requirement of the Building trust in the public record policy.
We have provided resources to help you meet each of the policy actions.
Actions and resources
Action 14: Transfer ‘retain as national archives’ information assets as soon as practicable, or within 15 years of creation, to the care of the National Archives
This is a mandatory action.
- Records authorities
- Preparing records for transfer to the National Archives. Advice updated June 2021.
- Transferring information to the National Archives. Advice updated June 2021.
- Transferring records to the Archives: Initial assessment questions. Advice updated June 2021.
- Transferring digital information to the National Archives. New advice released June 2022.
- Moving records from an EDRMS. New advice released March 2022.
Action 15: Identify remaining analogue processes and plan for transformation to digital, based on business need
- Business System Assessment Framework (BSAF)
- Capturing information
- Digital Authorisations Framework (PDF 2.1 MB)
- Digital authorisations and workflows
Action 16: Identify poorly performing legacy systems; address information management requirements when upgrading, migrating and/or decommissioning systems to meet business needs
- Data migration
- Managing records in Microsoft 365. New advice released February 2022
- Moving records from an EDRMS. New advice released March 2022
Action 17: Sentence information assets regularly and promptly destroy information assets of temporary value when no longer needed
- Compliant destruction of Australian Government information
- Examples of network folder structures
- Retaining, managing and disposing of data and datasets
- Appraisal and sentencing. Advice updated February 2023.
- Sentencing worksheet (XLSX, 657 KB) and instructions (PDF, 1.7 MB). New resources released September 2021.
- Sentencing of digital information for different systems. New advice currently in development.
- Using Normal Administrative Practice (NAP). Advice updated February 2023.