Ask us about the collection

How we can help you

We do basic reference work for free and aim to respond to your question within 30 business days.

Under the Archives Act 1983, records become available for access once they enter the open access period.

We cannot perform detailed research on your behalf.

Review our service standards

Question types

Immigration questions

When your question is about immigration, select either:

Other questions

You can ask us a question about:

If none of these fit your question, or you are not sure, choose general enquiry.

Checking the progress of a question

If you have already made a reference enquiry, you can check on its progress.

World War I and World War II military service records

For World War I and World War II military service records, as well as some post-World War II service records, search and order through RecordSearch.

Requesting records

To request records ahead of your visit to a research centre, select request to view records.

Order a digital copy of a record through RecordSearch. Copying charges apply.



To provide feedback on our reference service, complete our Reference service feedback form.