The National Archives of Australia holds Australian Government records from Federation in 1901 to the present.
Most records are documents, but we also hold:
- sound recordings
- digital records
Under the Archives Act 1983, records become available for access once they enter the open access period.
To access records:
- learn what's in the collection
- read about when records become available, why we refuse access to some records and what to do if we refuse access
- follow the step-by-step guide for researchers
- understand copyright requirements
- cite records correctly
- search the collection online
- ask us a question about our records
You can also:
- visit a research centre to view and research original records, free of charge
- order digital copies of records from our collection (copying charges apply)