About George Reid
- Born: 25 February 1845
- Died: 12 September 1918
- Partner: Florence (Flora) Ann Reid
- Political party:
- Free Trade Party (As PM)
- Anti-Socialist Party
- Image: NAA: A5954, 1299/2 PHOTO PL492/2
George Reid was Australia's 4th Prime Minister from 1904 to 1905. He was also Leader of the Opposition for 6 of the first 7 years of the Australian parliament.
Reid is remembered more for his quirks than his acquittal of the roles of parliamentary representative, party leader, Prime Minister, and Australia’s founding High Commissioner in London.
Although he held office for less than 1 year, Reid’s story makes him one of the most interesting of Australia’s prime ministers.
Did you know?
- was one of the 'fathers' of Federation
- was the only Free Trade prime minister
- was the only Australian to serve in all 3 legislatures: colonial, Commonwealth, and British
- was nicknamed ‘Yes/No Reid’ by federationists
- had the first Australian prime-ministerial funeral, in 1918
- was married to Dame Florence Reid, one of the first four recipients in 1917 of the Dame Grand Cross of the British Empire