About Chris Watson
- Born: (probably) 9 April 1867
- Died: 18 November 1941
- Partner: Ada Jane Watson
- Political party:
- Australian Labor Party (As PM)
- Nationalist Party
- Image: NAA: A1200, L11176A
Chris Watson was Australia's 3rd Prime Minister (and first Labor Prime Minister). He held office for only 4 months in 1904, but his imprint on legislation extended through the first 10 years of the Australian Parliament.
Watson was a founder and one of the principal architects of the early Australian Labor Party.
Did you know?
- made Australia the first nation with a labour prime minister
- established the solidarity rule by which he was expelled from the Labor Party
- designed the soldier settlement scheme in 1917
- was a trustee of the Sydney Cricket Ground
- was a founder of the National Roads and Motorists Association
- was a founder and the first chairman of Ampol in 1936