Implementing the actions on this page will help your agency implement fit-for-purpose information management processes, practices and systems that meet identified needs for information asset creation, use and re-use. This is a requirement of the Building trust in the public record policy.
We have provided resources to help you meet each of the policy actions.
Actions and resources
Action 9: Manage all digital information assets created from 1 January 2016, digitally. Information assets created digitally from this date, that are eligible for transfer to the National Archives, will be accepted in digital format only
This is a mandatory action.
- Developing an information policy. Updated advice will be released by 30 June 2021.
- Digital authorisations and workflows
- Digital authorisations framework
- Retaining, managing and disposing of data and datasets
Action 10: Ensure business systems, including whole-of-government systems, meet functional and minimum metadata requirements for information management
- Business System Assessment Framework (BSAF)
- Australian Government Recordkeeping Metadata Standard (AGRkMS)
- AGLS Metadata Standard. The AGLS Metadata Standard is a set of descriptive properties that improve the visibility and accessibility of online resources.
- Australian Government Metadata Validator. Lets agencies check whether their online content meets AGLS standards.
- AGLS user guide (PDF 638 KB)
- Australian Government Metadata Generator. Lets agencies generate AGLS and DCMI metadata for online content.
- Metadata for interoperability
- Minimum metadata set (MMS)
- Metadata management. New learning resource and implementation advice. Will be released by 30 June 2021.
- Metadata e-learning module. New resource will be released by 30 June 2021.
Action 11: Assess interoperability maturity based on business and stakeholder needs. Identify interoperability maturity gaps and plan to address them
- Building interoperability
- Interoperability development phases resource (PDF 1.4 MB)
- Interoperability scenarios (PDF 2.4 MB).
- Data Interoperability Maturity Model (DIMM)
- DIMM assessment tool (PDF 5.3 MB)
- Archival Control Model (ACM)
- Australian Governments’ Interactive Functions Thesaurus (AGIFT)
Action 12: Implement strategies, including storage and preservation strategies, for the management of all information assets
- Storing information
- Cloud computing and information management
- Outsourcing digital storage
- Records management risk assessment template (PDF 214 KB)
- Data management plan template. As part of information management planning and processes. New resource will be released by 30 June 2021.
- Digital preservation e-learning module. New resource will be released by 30 June 2021.
- Preserving information. Updated advice will be released by 30 June 2021.
Action 13: Create digital information assets in sustainable digital formats
- Born digital file format standards
- Preservation digitisation standards
- Digitisation specifications for paper records in agencies
- Digital preservation planning
- Digital formats, e-learning module. New resource will be released by 30 June 2021.