National Archives' records
Our collection includes records from Edmund Barton's role in the Federation of Australia and his time as prime minister and Justice of the High Court of Australia.
This is a selection of records from our collection.
- Record copy of draft of a Bill to constitute the Commonwealth of Australia, 1891, as considered by Committee No. 1 of the Australasian Federal Convention (Barton’s copy), 1897 (R212, 1)
- Telegram from Secretary of State for the Colonies requesting reasons for choice of WJ Lyne instead of Edmund Barton, 1900 (A6661, 1055)
- Letter from King O’Malley to Edmund Barton regarding protectionist and free trade rivalry, 1901 (A6, 1901/561)
- Framed photograph of the first Commonwealth ministry, Melbourne, 1901 (A8120, 1)
- ABC publicity photos of Sir Edmund Barton – former Prime Minister, 1901 (SP1011/1, 1027)
- Barton ministry – ministerial oaths, 1901-03 (series A5447)
- Barton ministry – correspondence and historical notes, 1901-03 (A5447, 2)
- Folders of copies of Cabinet papers, 1901-03 (series A6006)
- Judges notebooks of Justice Sir Edmund Barton, 1901-19 (series A10612)
- Report of interview between a deputation from the Chamber of Commerce, Sydney and the Prime Minister, Mr Barton, 1902 (A8, 1902/214/2)
- Anniversary of the birth of the Commonwealth – Governor-General's telegram and Barton's reply, 1903 (A1, 1903/129)
- Judges of the High Court – appointment of Sir Edmund Barton, 1903-20 (A432, 1950/484)
- Commissions empowering Sir Samuel Griffith and Sir Edmund Barton to administer the oath and affirmation of allegiance to members of the Senate and House of Representatives, 1910 (A2, 1910/2510)
- Barton, Sir Edmund – appointment to Privy Council Board and condolences, 1915-20 (A2, 1920/547)
- Chambers notebooks, 1916-19 (series A10611)
- Associate’s notebook, 1917-19 (series A10609)
- Original jurisdiction notebooks, 1918-28 (series A10603)
- ABC radio presentation by J Reynolds – Fathers of Federation – Edmund Barton, 1951 (SP369/1, F/23/6)
- Commonwealth Jubilee celebrations – laying of wreath on grave of Sir Edmund Barton, 1951 (A461, EP317/1/6)
For details of the records on Edmund Barton held by the National Archives and other institutions, you can use Our first six: guide to archives of Australia's prime ministers.
The National Archives is a proud partner of the First Eight Project.