The History Room at the State Library of Tasmania is jointly operated by the National Archives and the State Library and Archive Service.
Researchers can access both Commonwealth and state records from the one location.
For more information about the Tasmanian Archives and Heritage collection please visit their website.
The collection in Hobart
The Tasmania office holds records similar to other National Archives' offices around Australia, such as:
- immigration case files
- alien registration documentation
- inwards and outwards passenger lists
- lighthouse logbooks
- army pay records
- large-format architectural drawings of Commonwealth buildings in Tasmania
There are aso collections special to Tasmania, notably records created by the Australian Antarctic Division and the Bureau of Meteorology.
Antarctic records of particular interest include:
- hydrographic charts and maps
- the personal collection of Captain John King Davis, Second-in-Command of Douglas Mawson's 1911–14 expedition
- Antarctic voyage and station reports and log books
- records about husky dogs employed on Antarctic expeditions
The meteorological records include a series of tidal readings and meteorological data recorded between 1837–77 at Port Arthur by Thomas Lampiere, the Deputy Assistant Commissary General at the Port Arthur penal settlement.
Research centre opening hours
9:30am to 5pm Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, closed public holidays.
The research centre is shared between the National Archives and the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office. Researchers can access both Commonwealth and state records from the one location.
Entry to the National Archives is free.
All public areas of the National Archives are wheelchair accessible.
Toilets with disabled facilities are available on the ground, first, and second floors.
Visitors with recognised assistance animals, including guide and hearing dogs, are welcome.
GPO Box 309