The National Archives has issued a notice to relevant Commonwealth agencies requiring the retention of records relating to the Home Insulation Program. The Program is now the subject of an inquiry by the Royal Commission into the Home Insulation Program.
The notice takes effect on 20 December 2013 and will be in force until further notice by the National Archives.
The notice suspends the National Archives of Australia’s permission to destroy any relevant records. Relevant records and any associated drafts and working papers cannot be destroyed using any agency-specific or general records authorities or through a normal administrative practice (NAP).
Relevant agencies include:
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- The Department of Employment
- The Department of the Environment
- The Department of Finance
- The Department of Human Services
- The Department of Industry
- The Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
- The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- The Department of the Treasury
- Safe Work Australia
Further information is contained in the Records Retention Notice (pdf, 53kb).