About William McMahon
- Born: 23 February 1908
- Died: 31 March 1988
- Partner: Sonia Rachel McMahon
- Political party: Liberal Party of Australia
- Image: NAA: A1200, L55189
William McMahon was Prime Minister from 1971 to 1972. He was first elected to Federal Parliament in 1949, and held the seat of Lowe, in Sydney, for 33 years until his retirement in 1982.
McMahon served as Minister for Primary Industry (1956-58) and Minister for Labour and National Service (1958-66) in the government of Robert Menzies, as Treasurer (1966-69) in the governments of Harold Holt, John McEwen and John Gorton, and as Minister for External Affairs (1969-71) in the Gorton government.
Did you know?
- was 63 years old when he became prime minister, the oldest after John McEwen at 67 years old
- was one of three prime ministers to have a baby while in office; the others were Joseph Lyons and Andrew Fisher