National Archives' records
Our collection includes records from John Howard's years as prime minister and member of parliament.
You can access some Howard government records that have already entered the open access period. Each year, we make more records available when they enter the open access period.
This is a selection of records from our collection, including Commonwealth records and Howard’s personal papers (CP 197), that are in the open access period.
- Correspondence as Minister for Business and Consumer Affairs, 1975-77 (series M174)
- [Fraser Cabinet] Statement by the Hon John Howard MP Minister for Business and Consumer Affairs - Prices/Wage pause, 1977 (A12933, 51)
- Korean Ambassador and John Howard sign taxation agreement, 1982 (A6180, 12/7/82/5)
- John Howard – Leader of the Liberal Party at Liberal Party press conference, 1987 (A6135, K7/8/87/1)
- Opposition leader John Howard being interviewed with members of Aboriginal cricket team, Parliament House, 1987 (A8746, KN23/10/87/4)
- Incoming government brief 1996 – Government Division, 1996 (A463, 1996/1230)
- John Howard – election 1996, 1996 (A6135, K8/3/96/30)
- Kenneth K Noza, High Commissioner for PNG - presenting letter on Introduction to Prime Minister John Howard, 1996 (A6180, 14/5/96/1)
- Aboriginal Flag and Torres Strait Flag - formal recognition, 1996-97 (A1209, HON1994/46 PART 5)
- Waterfront policy issues, 1996-98 (A1209, 1991/2579)
- Howard Ministries - Cabinet submissions, memoranda and minutes, 1996-2007 (series A14370)
- Howard ministries - Cabinet files, 1996-2007 (series A14371)
- Ministerial correspondence of John Howard as Prime Minister, 1996-2007 (series M4326)
- Reform of the electricity supply, 1997-98 (A1209, 1997/1388)
- Australia-Indonesia relations – East Timor aspect, 1999 (A463, 2000/185)
You can search a collection of Australian prime ministerial transcripts dating from the early 1940s on PM Transcripts.