COVID-19 update: temporary closure
We are currently closed to school visits due to the COVID-19 lockdown in the ACT.
You and your students can still access our online education resources to support learning in the classroom and at home.
We look forward to welcoming you at the National Archives in the future.
Reasons to choose the National Archives for your school visit
The voices of Australia since Federation can be heard throughout the National Archives.
The national archival collection tells the compelling story of the connections between the Australian Government and its people, and how these relationships have shaped our nation.
Reasons to choose us for your school visit:
- Curriculum-aligned programs that connect students with pivotal moments in 20th-century Australian history and explore themes from creativity and identity through to immigration, defence and reconciliation.
- Insightful educator-led experiences for the environmentally and socially aware citizens of tomorrow – their place in democracy, individual rights and responsibilities, and how they can enact change.
- It’s easy. Just book via Book Canberra Excursions, park the bus and leave the rest to us!
- Newly refurbished heritage-listed building, featuring state-of-the-art exhibition spaces and research centre, cafe and the Archives Store.
- A unique, enriching and memorable experience for your students.
- The National Archives is a tier 2 Parliament and Civics Education Rebate (PACER) destination.
Book a school visit
To book a school visit please use the Book Canberra Excursions website.
Plan your visit
We look forward to welcoming your school to the National Archives.
Program duration: 60 minutes
Availability: Tuesday to Thursday, 10am to 4:30pm
Group size: Maximum of 45 students per group with a requested ratio of one adult per 15 students
Cost: $3.50 per student. Accompanying teachers, adults and coach staff are free. Check whether you are eligible for a rebate through PACER.
Cancellation: Please read our cancellation policy.
Location: Kings Avenue, Parkes, just behind Old Parliament House. The entrance and bus parking are located on the Kings Avenue side of the building.
Etiquette: To protect the National Archives’ collection, we do not permit food, drink or flash photography in the exhibition spaces. Please leave backpacks on the bus. Read our code of behaviour.
Contact us: For special needs or further queries, contact email@example.com
Our COVID-19 safety plan: a summary
How we’re keeping you safe
We’re limiting the number of visitors
To ensure numbers in our gallery spaces stay safe, we are:
- limiting the number of school bookings per day
- closing the gallery to other visitors while a school group is visiting.
We’re keeping our distance
We are making sure our staff and the public keep a distance of 1.5 m between themselves and school groups at all times.
We’re cleaning more often
We have increased how much and how often we clean our public spaces. We also clean all resources used in our programs after each school group visit.
We’re providing hand sanitiser
We have installed hand sanitisers throughout the building for you to use.
How you can help
Leave your bags on the bus
Please leave all bags and large electronic equipment (such as iPads and computers) on the bus. We do not currently have a cloakroom.
Sanitise your hands
Please use hand sanitiser on entering the building.
Stay home if you’re sick
If you are unwell, please postpone your visit.
Skip the shop
Our shop is not large enough to safely accommodate students. Please do not allow students to dwell in or buy items from the shop.
Keep in touch
Sign up to our education mailing list for updates.