Each group of records for transfer needs to:
- belong to the same agency recordkeeping system or to the same National Archives-registered series
- have the same security classification — for digital records this must be unclassified
- be in record number (control symbol) order.
Transferring physical records
Before you begin
Contact us before you begin preparing records for transfer.
We can provide you with:
- barcode ranges to apply to your items and containers (your agency is responsible for purchasing item and container barcodes)
- specific packing guidance based on format
- advice about managing multiple classifications
- supporting transfer documentation and guidance, including a copy of the National Archives' Records labelling, packaging and transportation guidelines.
Preparing records for transfer
When preparing records for transfer, ensure:
- items are packaged in archival-quality boxes
- records have container and item barcodes
- entry details in item lists match the physical item and its container.
Contact us early for guidance on packing specific formats prior to transfer.
You may also like to: