This guide tells the story of Tasmania and its relationship with the Commonwealth administration from 1901.
This guide embraces records with a connection to Tasmania and, by extension, the Tasmanian people.
These include records documenting:
- policy developed in head offices (almost all in Melbourne, then increasingly from the 1930s in Canberra) relating directly to Tasmania or to all states including Tasmania
- decisions made by Cabinet or a minister about or affecting Tasmania
- individual Tasmanians active in Commonwealth politics and administration
- individual Tasmanians in their roles as recipients of benefits/entitlements, people under surveillance, applicants of some kind, Commonwealth employees and members of armed services
- Commonwealth activities carried out in Tasmania (e.g. lighthouses, post offices)
- inquiries specifically about a Tasmanian matter and information collected.