Finding an item in the collection
If you need help finding an item in the National Archives collection, or want to check on an existing enquiry, please ask us a question online.
We can help you with questions about
- immigration and arrival records
- defence or military service records
- any other documents or material from our collection
For government agencies
The Agency Service Centre helps Australian Government agencies with advice on records, data and information management.
Get advice on:
- the Archives Act 1983
- digital transition and continuity
- disposal freezes
- records disposal notices
- records authorities
- information governance
- how to transfer records to the National Archives
Visit the Agency Service Centre page for more information.
Freedom of information requests
Freedom of information requests can be made to the National Archives of Australia if you are seeking access to records less than 20 years old, which are:
- created by the National Archives during the course of its business, including administrative records and records detailing the practices of the Archives
- created by the National Archives which contain your personal information
Visit Access to information under the Freedom of Information Act for more details on making your request.
If the records you are seeking are in the National Archives collection, please ask us about the collection.
Contact our national office in Canberra
National Archives of Australia
Parkes ACT 2600
Our postal address
PO Box 4924
Kingston ACT 2604
Call the National Archives on 02 6212 3600.