This guide comprehensively lists records on Australia's relations with the people and government of Japan from the mid-nineteenth century.
Allies, enemies and trading partners: records on Australia and the Japanese
Australia's relationship with Japan has always been multi-faceted. The Japanese were allies during World War I, enemies during World War II and trading partners in peacetime.
Records listed in this guide cover:
- Japanese immigration to Australia
- the White Australia Policy and Japan's reaction to it
- Japan's southward expansion in the 1920s and the 1930s
- the experiences of World War II
- the postwar occupation of Japan
- the peace settlement
- the redevelopment of the bilateral relationship.