The National Archives works with partners around the world. We collaborate with other archives, professional associations, governments and the private sector in Australia, our region and internationally.
We have expertise in the following areas:
- digital recordkeeping
- archival description and collection management
- providing online access to archives
- using archives for education, exhibitions, publications and public programs
- preserving and conserving at-risk items
- digital preservation.
Black Diasporas Melbourne project
In July 2022, we partnered with the Black Diasporas Melbourne project which documents the historical experiences of African-Australian people in Melbourne. The project takes subject interviews, paired with visuals, and geolocates them on an accessible online map.
The project, supported by the Australian Multicultural Foundation, includes the launch of the Black Diasporas Melbourne platform and an exhibition, Black Diasporas – our voices telling our stories, held at the No Vacancy Gallery, Melbourne, from 3 to 13 August 2022.
We are proud to support Black Diasporas through:
- cross-promotion of our partnership and the exhibition via our website and social channels
- an orientation program, helping African-Australians access the national archival collection
- sharing our logo as a sign of our support for this significant migration experience.
Dutch–Australian Shared Cultural Heritage program
In October 2017, we received a grant from the Netherlands Government's Dutch-Australian Shared Cultural Heritage program.
The grant meant we could work with the Nationaal Archief in the Netherlands to scope our collection and identify records related to the Dutch-Australian relationship. We looked at 4 key areas of shared history:
We also featured Dutch-Australian migrants and their families in 5 video portraits. These are now hosted on the Destination: Australia website.
We thank the Nationaal Archief, the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and the Dutch-Australians who supported this program.
Bilateral agreement with the Archives Nationales de France
In April 2016, we signed a bilateral agreement with the Archives Nationales de France.
'Imagination, Exploration, Memory: French-Australian Shared Histories' is a 6-year biennial project about Australian and French historical links. It features:
- an international seminar program
- an archival collection exhibition
- a professional exchange opportunity.
Pacific Regional Branch of the ICA (PARBICA)
We play an active leadership role in PARBICA, the International Council on Archives' (ICA) Pacific Regional Branch. We manage the branch finances, membership and the PARBICA website.
PARBICA represents more than 20 Pacific nations, states and territories, including Australia.
- government archives
- non-government archival institutions and associations
With AusAID and Archives New Zealand's cooperation, we have led the development of the Recordkeeping for Good Governance Toolkit for the Pacific. This toolkit was translated into French for use in French-speaking territories in Africa and the Caribbean.