Federal Member for Menzies
The Hon Kevin Andrews MP has been a member of the Australian Commonwealth Parliament since 1991, serving as the member for the Victorian seat of Menzies in the House of Representatives.
He is the Chairman of the Joint Standing Committee on the National Disability Insurance Scheme and Chairman of the Human Right Sub-Committee of the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade. He is also Chair of the Parliamentary Friends of Education Group.
Mr Andrews has held a number of ministerial appointments during his time in Parliament, including:
- Minister for Ageing, 2001 to 2003
- Minister for Employment and Workplace Relations and Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for the Public Service, 2003 to 2007
- Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, 2007
- Minister for Social Services, 2013 to 2014
- Minister for Defence, 2014 to 2015.
Raised in country Victoria, Mr Andrews studied Law and Arts at Melbourne University before completing a Master of Laws at Monash University.
Before his election to parliament, Mr Andrews served as an associate to Sir James Gobbo in the Victorian Supreme Court before practicing law at the Victorian Bar. He was named Australian Young Lawyer of the Year for his community work in establishing a legal scheme for disaster victims and for publishing a book for seniors about the law.
A keen cyclist, Mr Andrews is married to Margaret and has five adult children.