National History Challenge – Special Category
We award prizes to entrants in the National History Challenge. Our Special Category prize is for excellence in the use of primary sources (archival records) from our collection.
Theme for 2013
This year the theme is Legends, Fact and History.
A winner will be selected from each state and territory. Each will receive a cash prize of $200.
A national winner will be selected from state and territory winners. The national winner will receive:
- a further cash prize of $300
- an expenses-paid trip to Canberra to attend the National History Challenge awards ceremony at Parliament House
- a guided tour of national cultural institutions, including the National Archives.
How to enter
To be considered for the prize, you must:
- be in Year 9, 10, 11 or 12
- research and write an essay that covers the 2013 National history challenge theme Legends, Facts and History.
- use a range of primary sources, including those from the National Archives' collection
- include citations, and credit the source of ideas, information and quotations
- include an annotated bibliography listing all sources used and brief comments on what each contained.
Further information can be found at the National History Challenge website.
Before you begin the challenge:
- use Vrroom online classroom to find primary sources relevant to the 2013 theme Legends, Fact and History.
- learn about using archival records
- read essays that have won the National Archives' Special Category prize in previous years.