Digital information and records management capability matrix
The Digital Information and Records Management Capability Matrix was launched in May 2015 by David Fricker, Director-General, National Archives of Australia. The guest speaker was Ian Fitzgerald, Chief Human Capital Officer, Australian Public Service Commission.
What is the capability matrix?
The capability matrix identifies skills and knowledge that government agencies and their employees need to create and manage information effectively to meet their business and accountability needs. It outlines the capabilities agencies need to transition to fully digital information management and to ensure information remains accessible and usable over time.
The capabilities are provided for three roles:
- capabilities for all staff
- capabilities for ICT specialists
- capabilities for information and records management specialists.
Within each role the capabilities are mapped to position classifications commonly used in the Australian Government.
Links are provided to online resources which can help develop the skills and knowledge in each capability.
Who can use the capability matrix?
Agencies can use the matrix to:
- plan for staff professional development
- develop position descriptions and selection documents
- develop performance management expectations
- develop training programs
- develop succession plans and learning pathways.
The allocation of responsibilities and capabilities required for certain roles and levels may vary in different agencies, so the capability matrix should be adapted to reflect the business needs and size of individual agencies.
Individual employees can use the capability matrix to:
- better understand their information management responsibilities and role
- create learning paths for career progression and development.
It is assumed that employees at higher levels will have the capabilities for lower levels as well as for their own level.
The matrix can be used with the Australian Public Service Commission Integrated Leadership System and complements the information and knowledge management family in the APS Job Family Model. The capabilities for ICT staff and managers can be used with the Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA).