Transferring records to the Archives: Initial assessment questions
Initial assessment information includes queries about:
- Content, subject and business of the records.
- Age of the records (date range).
- Are the records identified as Retain as National Archives (RNA) in a current records Authority?
- Are the records part of the same sequence or series?
- Are the records still needed for business use?
- Security classification or sensitivity indicators
- Access to the records
- Quantity of the records
- Physical condition of the records
- Are the records ready and prepared for transfer?
- Your recommended transfer priority
- Your preferred location
For digital records we will also need to discuss with you:
- Are the digital records unclassified (currently we can't process classified digital records)?
- Can the digital records be transferred on to a portable USB or hard drive?
- How the digital records maintained (eg EDRMS, share drive, offline)
- Any unusual or very large file formats
- Format (eg pdf, html) and size of the digital records
- Number of digital objects in the transfer
- Metadata requirements
- How the digital records are structured in your system. For example:
- Are the digital records part of a hybrid series containing both physical (or other) as well as digital components?
- Are the digital records in a folder hierarchy, or are they in a flat structure?
- Are all the digital records within a folder hierarchy sentenced as RNA?
- What level constitutes a record on your item list - does one record on your item list equal one digital object, or does it comprise multiple digital objects?