Langwarrin, Victoria (1914–15)
Langwarrin camp was located on the Mornington Peninsula, south-east of Melbourne. It housed up to 500 internees in generally poor conditions. Most internees lived in tents and the facilities for washing and bathing were inadequate. Some internees built huts at their own expense. Internees worked to improve the camp, building fences, clearing ground and improving the water supply. They were paid for this work.
Langwarrin camp closed in 1915 and most of the internees were transferred to Holsworthy in New South Wales. Some remained until 1919 to work at the nearby venereal diseases hospital. Langwarrin was used intermittently as a transit camp for internees transferring from other states to Holsworthy.
The National Archives holds records about the Langwarrin camp. A selection of these is listed below.