A place for ‘all those aspirations that are truly national’
The home of civic and cultural activities in the national capital, Albert Hall was opened in 1928, the year after Parliament House. It was Canberra’s concert hall, theatre, exhibition space and the venue for lectures, balls and socials. As the place for civic assembly, it housed congresses, conferences and protest meetings.
Opening the building on 10 March 1928, Prime Minister Stanley Melbourne Bruce declared Albert Hall would encourage ‘everything that will uplift the Australian people – a centre from which will radiate all those aspirations that are truly national’ (Canberra Times, 12 March 1928).
What follows is a photo album showing the rich life of Albert Hall between 1927 and 1970. For more information and records about Albert Hall in the National Archives, see Albert Hall, Canberra – Fact Sheet 250.