Coastal fortifications in South Australia – Fact sheet 91
South Australia's colonial defences
South Australia's major defences before 1901 comprised the following facilities:
- the forts at Largs and Glanville, both located on the coast facing into Gulf St Vincent (the forts were linked by the Military Road from Glenelg to Largs);
- the Torpedo Station on Port River; and
- the cruiser Protector, which was in service from 1884. The Protector was transferred to the Commonwealth defence service on Federation in 1901.
The military installations also played some part in the 1914–18 and 1939–45 wars. Fort Glanville has been restored and is now a popular Adelaide tourist attraction.