Copying charges – Fact sheet 51
Prices are in AUD. Overseas purchases are GST exclusive. Prices effective from 24 October 2016.
An image of each page of the record and a searchable PDF is made available online for public viewing on RecordSearch.
|Online copy of whole record
||Cost incl. GST
||Cost ex. GST
|Small file (typically up to 10 pages)
|Standard file (typically 11 to 100 pages)
|Large file (typically 101 to 400 pages)
|Very large files (typically over 401 pages)
Please note: The small, standard and large digitisation charges are based on the average size of files within a series (a group of related records), not on the number of pages within individual records. The relevant charge is then applied to all items within the series, regardless of their individual size. Information on the digitisation charge for a record is available in RecordSearch against the series registration.
Sent to your email via
Secure File Transfer (SFT)
|Cost incl. GST
||Cost ex GST
|Original item under A3
e.g. photographic film and prints
Provided at A4 @ 400 ppi unless specified otherwise
|Original item over A3
e.g. maps and plans
Provided at 100% 400 ppi unless specified otherwise
Reading room photocopying
||Cost incl. GST (per page)
|Black and white A4 and A3 photocopy
|Colour A4 and A3 photocopy
Certification of records
||Cost incl. GST
||Cost ex. GST
|Certification of true copy
Includes up to 10 pages or cover of multi-page file. Additional pages (after the first 10) will be charged at $5.50 per page
(includes standard postage)
(includes international registered postage)
Please note: It is your responsibility to determine whether a certified copy is required. Unless otherwise advised, the first page will be stamped certified.
|Original record format
||Charge per item (incl. GST)
||Delivery media USB (8GB) or DVD
||Registered Post (within Australia only) $9.30
Express Post $23.60
As a guide each 8GB USB can hold 8.5 hours of mpeg4 footage or 150 hours of mp3 audio; a DVD can hold 5.5 hours of mpeg4 footage or 87 hours of mp3 audio.
We will endeavour to fit as many items as possible onto each USB or DVD. However large requests may require multiple USBs or DVDs to be used which will incur an added cost per media. This will be confirmed prior to the preparation of the quote.
Viewing audiovisual records in the reading room
The per item plus delivery media charges will apply to view an audiovisual record in the reading room where a reference copy does not already exist.
- Prepayment is required for all copying services. Payment (in AUD) may be made by cheque, money order, EFTPOS or credit card. Please note: on 2 July 2018 the National Archives implemented a cashless policy. We no longer accept cash payments in our reading rooms.
- Order and pay online for copies of whole files listed on RecordSearch. Please choose your purchases carefully and check your details before make payment.
- A tax invoice will be issued on request for amounts over $50.00. If you require a tax invoice please let us know when you place your order.
- Prepayments on copies of collection material will not in general be refunded. Should you have a concern about any payment you have made please ask us a question.
Services free of charge
- Entry to a reading room; inspection of original paper records and microform; application for reader card; use of finding aids, databases, computers; assistance from staff; application for access to records or application for internal reconsideration of access decisions; request for a copy quote.
- Use of own camera to photograph records in a reading room. A permission to photograph records form must first be completed.
Other things you should know
- We will not copy records if this is likely to result in damage to the record.
- Commercial, fee-based research services are not provided by the National Archives. If you require this service a list of research agents with whom you may make private arrangements is available.
- The Archives will consider waiving or reducing charges in certain circumstances, including financial hardship and public interest, as set out in Regulation 13 of the Archives Regulations 2018. Reasons and supporting evidence are required with each request. Please note that requests are generally approved in very exceptional circumstances only.
- Any copies you purchase are for your personal use. Permission must be sought for further reproduction or publication. See copyright.