Army – Service after World War II

All records of service in the Army after World War II, including service in Korea, Malaya and Vietnam, are maintained by the Central Army Records Office (CARO).

Army personnel files

There is one main series of service dossiers for those serving after World War II (postwar).

Collection references

 Title or description of recordDate rangeSeries number
SeriesArmy personnel files1947–B2458

What's in a postwar Army service record?

Army personnel files, or dossiers, are created at the time of discharge by amalgamating several smaller files and documents. The records generally contain documents detailing awards, badges, conduct, compensation, discharge, enlistment, injury, medals, posting and movement, promotion, trade and training.

In addition the dossier contains correspondence between the individual or the individual’s relatives and the Army after the service person left the defence force.

Access to records

For former serving members

If you are a former serving member, or their next of kin, you can obtain a copy of the record of postwar Army service from the Defence Archive Centre, phone 1800 333 362 or email

From the National Archives

The National Archives can provide access to postwar Army service records.

Under our legislation, the Archives may only publicly release records which are in the open access period. This means that if you request a record of postwar service from us, you may not be able to view the whole file. In some cases information in the open access period may be withheld because it's disclosure would unreasonably disclose information about the personal affairs of a person; or have an adverse effect on a person's lawful business or professional affairs.

Postwar Army service records are held by the Defence Archives Centre in Victoria. We request records from the Defence Archives Centre to answer your inquiry.

The service record, if located, will be temporarily transferred to the National Archives' Melbourne office. This process may take up to three months.

Once the record has been received by our Melbourne office, you may choose to purchase a copy. Alternatively, you may view the record in the Melbourne reading room of the National Archives at no cost.

To request a postwar Army service record, please complete the online form – defence service after World War II.

Other contacts


Inquiries about medal entitlements for service in the Australian Defence forces are handled by Defence Honours and Awards. They can be contacted by phone on 1800 333 362. Alternatively, complete the Defence Medals - Online Application.

Further information

For more information on Army records see:

You can also browse our other defence, armed services and war records.

Copyright National Archives of Australia 2019