National Archives Preservation Facility
Preserving your history for the future
The construction of the National Archives Preservation Facility (NAPF) in Canberra is an exciting evolution for the Archives. It will ensure the preservation of our irreplaceable collection continues into the future.
There will be disruption to access to the Canberra-based collection from 30 October 2016 to 1 July 2017, as we relocate 15 million records from multiple repositories and rehouse them in the NAPF.
If you are seeking access to original records in the Canberra reading room throughout the relocation period, please contact us.
Our digitisation service will continue throughout the relocation to the NAPF. Until 1 July 2017 it may take up to 90 business days to make available digital copies of records held in Canberra. The service standard of 30 business days continues for records located in our State and Territory offices.
Ask us a question about records in the collection
We will undertake basic reference work free of charge and aim to respond to your inquiry within 30 business days. Under the Archives Act 1983 records become available once they enter the open access period. Our service charter outlines the standards of service you can expect from us.
Please select one of the following to make an inquiry or request:
- immigration records
- passenger arrival records
- passenger departure records
- internment and/or alien registration records
- intelligence and/or surveillance records
- civilian service records from World War II
- Merchant Navy records
- Defence service after World War II
- general inquiry
- order records ahead of your visit to a reading room – advance request to view records
- Defence force personnel records – search and order through RecordSearch
- order an online copy of a record through RecordSearch. Copying charges apply
- check the progress of a copying order
- copyright permission for collection items
To comment on the Archives’ reference service, please complete our Reference service survey.
If you have already made a reference inquiry, you can check on its progress.