Information about the National Office temporary relocation to Old Parliament House

8 December 2017

The Department of Finance has announced that the East Block building within the Parliamentary Triangle has now been sold. Following the completion of remedial works on the building, the Archives will re-occupy East Block under a new lease arrangement. We expect to move back to East Block in late 2018.

 View of Parliament House from East Block balcony, 1927
View of Parliament House from East Block balcony, 1927. (A3560, 3158)

28 August 2017

The Archives' National Office in East Block, Parkes, has relocated to Old Parliament House (OPH) until late 2018.

This will allow remedial works to be carried out on East Block.

You can find the National Archives by entering through the main entrance at Old Parliament House, on King George Terrace. Our reading room and helpful staff are located on the main floor, adjacent to our new Charters of Our Nation exhibition – a display of facsimiles of the Constitution and other founding documents.

Please review our new opening times. Please note, the reading room now closes at 5pm Tuesday evenings.

The National Archives shop is not open at Old Parliament House. A limited selection of items and publications are available via our online shop, and some publications may be purchased from the reading room.

All Archives visitors wishing to see facsimiles of the Constitution and other founding documents will be required to pay the Museum of Australian Democracy entry fee of $2 for adults and $1 for children. This supports the conservation work of the Museum to maintain the heritage-listed OPH building, in which we will be a tenant.

Researchers who display their reader card at the Museum of Australian Democracy reception will not be charged the entry fee.

Our permanent exhibitions will be placed in secure storage for the duration of the relocation. You can visit our national touring exhibitions with venues and tour dates across Australia or experience our online exhibitions via the Google Cultural Institute.

Archives staff are currelty developing exciting new programs and enhanced experiences for visitors for our return to East Block from late 2018.

Staff offices have relocated to the wings of Old Parliament House. Our business entrance is located on the south-eastern side of the building (opposite the House of Representatives rose garden) – the former ministerial entrance.

This relocation will not affect staff and records located at the National Archives Preservation Facility in Mitchell, or any of our state/territory offices.

Following the potential sale of East Block, the Archives has agreed to a new eight-year lease, with a two-year option, to commence on the Archives' return to East Block.

The new owner of East Block will be responsible for all remedial works and for ensuring they are undertaken in accordance with relevant regulations, including with regard to the heritage status of the building.

To stay in touch and for further information: or facebook/naagovau

Media enquiries should be directed to the Senior Communications Officer via

Copyright National Archives of Australia 2019