The National Archives of Australia Advisory Council is established under the Archives Act 1983 (subsection 10-1). Its role is to advise the Minister and the Director-General on matters relevant to the Archives’ functions.
The Minister or the Director-General may refer such matters to the Council for advice, or the Council may offer advice of its own accord.
The Council has up to 13 members, including a Senator chosen by the Senate, a member of the House of Representatives chosen by the House, and 11 other members appointed by the Minister.
Current members of the National Archives of Australia Advisory Council are:
- Dr Denver Beanland (Chair)
- Mr Christopher Puplick AM (Deputy Chair)
- The Hon Jane Prentice MP
- Senator Claire Moore
- Ms Jade Balfour
- Ms Anne Henderson AM
- Professor John Williams
- Mr David Irvine AO
- Dr Phil Robertson, FTSE
- The Hon Neil Brown QC
Former Advisory Council Chairs
- Mr A J (Jack) Campbell OBE, 1984-88
- Mr Ralph Jacobi AM, 1988-91
- Professor J L (Jack) Goldring, 1991-94
- Ms Beverley Schurr (Acting), 1994-95
- Mr Rodney Cavalier, 1994-98
- The Hon J J (Jim) Carlton AO, 1998-2003
- Mr Paul Santamaria SC, 2003-10
- Ms Helen Williams AO (Acting), 2010-11
- The Hon Dr John Bannon AO, FASSA 2011-14
Titles and post nominals are those held during Advisory Council membership.